Thursday, December 7, 2017

Review for The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware

3.75 Stars. Like the Boardgame "Clue" on the Ocean. 

I don't read a lot of murder mysteries, and I have read better ones, but this was good. It opens with a suspenseful scene and I really liked the ending. I just wish I'd connected with the main character, Lo, more.

Lo is a very independent woman with a bit of a drinking problem. She writes for a magazine and ends up on a yacht with plans to write about its maiden voyage when she thinks she hears a murder in the cabin next to hers. Lo's on medication for depression and after a traumatic experience at the beginning of the novel, the other characters have a hard time believing her. Her situation at the beginning of the book sets up her state of mind so I understood why she reacted to things the way she did later in the story, but I had a hard time actually liking her. She seemed a little cold at times, treated her boyfriend pretty crappy, and was a little moody. I did like her character growth and who she becomes by the end of the novel.

The other characters were colorful and interesting. This whole book reminded me a little of Clue. It has that classic dinner-murder-mystery feel, which was fun. I definitely spent a lot of time thinking about each character and whether or not they could be the murderer, and when I finally got to the end it was a total surprise. I did not see that coming. The ending felt satisfying. There are plenty of red herrings that leave you wondering how this is going to turn out for everyone along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Indie Book Goal 2018